The College School
Enrolling in The College School
There is no investment more valuable than a child’s education, and for a child with a learning difference, this investment is even more essential, especially when it impacts their success in the classroom. Striking a unique balance of academic rigor and social/emotional support, The College School’s skillfully trained teachers and staff are passionate in their pursuit to transform students into confident learners. In this setting, students receive lasting opportunities and guidance to acquire strategies to be successful young adults ready to attain a bright future ahead.
The following are common characteristics of our students.
- Have average or above average ability, as measured by a standard I.Q. test.
- Have the potential to return to a mainstream educational environment.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively with others enrolled in The College School.
The College School is not able to meet the special needs of students with severe developmental delays or communication disorders.
Every child’s strengths and needs are unique. The goal of the admissions process is to ensure a good fit between your child and The College School so as to maximize the potential for each child’s success.
Contact us today. We have a rolling admissions policy and, based on availability, will accept students throughout the school year.
TCS embraces an educational approach to learning that uses Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics as access points for guiding inquiry, dialogue, and critical thinking. The end results are students who take thoughtful risks, engage in experiential learning, persist in problem-solving, embrace collaboration, and work through the creative process. These are the innovators, educators, leaders, and learners of the 21st century!
TCS provides a challenging curriculum that accommodates the learning styles of our students. From the early stages of phonological awareness and decoding to fluency and comprehension, when students reach middle school, they are prepared to interact with text, make connections and read across content areas. Writing is viewed as a systematic process in which teachers model and support instruction across all grade levels.
The College School’s mission is to empower children with learning differences and guide them in reaching their true potential. Our skilled and compassionate staff utilize best practices to tailor instruction based on the talents and needs of each student. On a tour of The College School, you will undoubtedly witness “great minds” learning differently and succeeding.
Unique University Setting
As a part of the University of Delaware, students receive the benefit of progressive methods and instruction from teachers who are professional and clinical faculty members at the University. Children interact daily with eager student teachers, graduate students and researchers whose primary goal is to enhance this educational environment for children with learning differences.
How to Apply
We look forward to hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to learn more about your child.
How our admissions process works:
- If you are interested in learning more about our school, please complete the online Inquiry Form.
- We will contact you to discuss your child’s strengths as well as your concerns, and to schedule a tour of our school. If applicable, you will be asked to provide your child’s:
- Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) or 504 Accommodation Plans
- Recent report cards (with teacher narratives if provided)
- Current (within the past 3 years) Psycho-Educational or Neuro-Psycho-Educational Evaluation
- Other current evaluation reports (i.e. Speech/Language, Occupational Therapy, etc.)
- Additional information to assist in the admissions process
- During the tour, you will meet with our director and see our facilities, including classrooms equipped with interactive white boards, computers and iPads; the art room, STEM space, library, and playground — to determine whether our school is a good fit for your child.
- We will invite your child to spend a day with us so that they have direct experience in a classroom and we can observe them in our setting. We may also conduct some basic assessments during this visit to help us determine their fit at The College School. You will then be asked to complete an Application Form.
- Following your child’s visit, our staff will consider all information in order to make the best recommendation for your child. Based on availability, we will work with you to have them placed in a classroom as soon as possible. If no space is immediately available, your child will be placed on a waiting list.
- Upon enrollment at The College School, we ask you to complete a Records Release Form so that we are able to obtain copies of your child’s school records.