The College School serves students in first through eighth grade who demonstrate learning, attention, mild social/emotional, and/or mild behavioral issues that may impact school success. Our students flourish in a supportive environment that promotes confidence, individuality, and a spirit of self-advocacy, helping them become proud and confident learners.
Students diagnosed with reading disabilities, such as dyslexia, have been particularly successful at The College School. This success is attributable to the systematic, multisensory reading approaches utilized by teaching staff, as well as to the frequency of daily reading instruction these students receive. While the goal of The College School is to return students to a traditional school setting in two to three years, many remain through the 8th grade, as the unique blend of a challenging curriculum and a personalized approach to learning is unparalleled.
As a part of the College of Education and Human Development, students receive the benefit of the most cutting-edge techniques in curriculum and instruction from teachers who are clinical faculty members at the University. In addition, our children interact daily with motivated, eager student teachers and researchers whose primary goal is creating a rich educational environment for children with learning differences.
- Order May Hot Lunch now!! Orders will be accepted through May 1.
- Claude – a therapy rabbit that brings joy to children. Take a look at the article about Claude in the Newark Post.
- TCS and DFRC have a history of support. In the month of April, TCS will be selling DFRC sweatshirts and t-shirts. Order yours now!! The month of April will be dedicated to raising awareness about the abilities of people with intellectual disabilities, highlighted each Wednesday when students wearing DFRC shirts bought through the fundraiser can also wear “dress your way bottoms.” Thank you for your participation!
- The April Rotation Calendar is now available for download.
- The 2014-2015 TCS School Calendar is now available for download.